St Marys CofE Church
There has been a church here on this site since 1380. In 1480 the west tower was built, with the nave being extended at the same time. The church was consecrated, and dedicated to St Mary, in 1486. The battlemented and buttressed tower is a curiously shaped affair, and has a modern effigy of Mary and the infant Jesus in an ancient recess.
Sunday Worship 9.15am
1st Sunday: Morning prayer
2nd Sunday Holy Communion
3rd Sunday Morning prayer
4th Sunday Holy Communion
The Revd. Charles Brown 01733 211763
Mrs Mary Haresign 01775 724928
Dinah Fairbanks 01406 380692
Mrs Pauline Start 01406 380599
COWBIT CHURCH RECEIVES LOTTERY GRANT
Cowbit St Mary’s is awarded £8,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). The project, led by local volunteers, will repair the clock and communicate the heritage of the church. Work will start soon and be completed by the end of 2015.
We want to trace the history back to at least 1907, the year the current clock was installed. So we are really interested to hear from anyone with memories of St Mary’s and special events that have taken place there. Please contact us to hear more, or to get involved.
Mary Haresign: 01406 380 795
Shirley Pugh: 01406 380 562 firstname.lastname@example.org
LAUNCH OF COWBIT CLOCK PROJECT
The launch of the Cowbit St Mary Clock project was held at the church on Saturday 11th April 2015. The event was well attended by the local community and a number of the many funders for the project.
Visitors enjoyed a talk on our clock manufacturer J B Joyce, by Chester-based horologists Steve and Darlah Thomas, and had an opportunity to view memorabilia and photographs covering the heritage of the clock and village life in the early 20th century. Over one hundred pounds was raised from an auction of clock related items.
Dr Shirley Pugh informed the attendees that the initial preparatory work of installing the belfry floor and electrics for the automatic winder had already taken place and that Time Assured would start work on the clock mechanism on Monday 13th April.
The launch is one of many community events planned during the project, culminating in the clock commemoration day towards the end of the year. Dr Pugh explained that the clock committee would like to try to recreate the original event in 1907, when our current clock was installed.
An excerpt from ‘The Cowbit Log Book 1907-1947’ describing the clock dedication day on July 25 1907 reads “The tea for children on the registers at 3.30, public tea at 5pm. Over 130 sat down. Ceremony of the Dedication at 5.45pm: this took place outside the tower, the service being one drawn up by the Vicar and printed for distribution. Choir stood under the Tower, children on the slopes and public outside. Early in the day rain had fallen but towards 4pm it began to brighten and fell no more, thus the dedication took place in sunshine. At 10pm all assembled around the tower and sang the national anthem.”
She said that “we would be really interested in receiving any information that readers may have from 1907.”
For more information please contact; Shirley Pugh (01406 380562 email@example.com) or Mary Haresign (01406 380 795).
The project is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Our Local SHDC Councillors, The Church Buildings Committee, Cowbit Parish Council, The Lincolnshire County Council Big Society Fund, The Clock Appeal and Individual Gift Aiders. Funds were also raised by running a number of dedicated community events including a recent Race Night, jointly organised by Cowbit Village Hall Committee and Cowbit PCC, and a Pop up Pub event organised by The Cowbit Amenities Group.